Monday, August 9, 2010



Music Blocks


The great thing about the Music Blocks is they appeal to such a wide age range. Our 18 month old, Jenna, bounces up and down when she hears the song and our oldest son, Jared, was innovating with the Music Blocks up to the age of 8. Shane is 5 and is at the point where he can use the Puzzle Builder Guide to build the Music Block structure; however, I don’t think he is ready to build a unique structure.

Last year he and Nicole were doing the Nursery Rhyme structures. I would print out the Puzzle Builder Guide so that they could build the structures and then color in the Guide to match their structure. My kids love doing this.

When Jared was 7 I would challenge him to build his own unique Music Block structure. By that age he understood how the blocks worked, had memorized the puzzle sequences, and was able to build his own structure by using the skills of creative thinking: flexibility, originality, elaboration, brainstorming, modification, imagery, associative thinking, attribute listing, and forced relationships. After Jared builds a structure we typically leave it together until nighttime so that we can watch the flashing lights of the blocks when it is dark.

I love these blocks because I am an engineer and my job is all about creativity and innovation and that is what the Music Blocks teach.

3 comments:

  1. I love these blocks. These are genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that there are music blocks!

    I entered to win the Smarcks: Smart Blocks Giveaway @ Familylicious Reviews! Stop by and enter at http://familylicious.com/

    ReplyDelete