Friday, July 23, 2010

Products Made in China

New regulations have been put in place to improve toy safety. The first is from the American Society for Testing and Materials. The test is ASTM F963-07 and relates primarily to the physical and mechanical safety of toys as described on this link:

American Society of Testing and Materials, F963-07

The next is from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and relates more towards testing for lead and phthalates:

CPSIA Test Parameters

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Products must be tested by an independent third party laboratory. I can’t guarantee that all toy companies abide by these rules but we do. The Smarcks were tested by Intertek which is the largest testing lab in the world:

Intertek

I went one step further with these blocks. I decided not to use any surface coatings such as paint; I did not want to take any chances. Lead paint is one of the biggest issues with children's toys - this was the problem with Thomas the Tank Engine. Smarcks do not use any type of paint or any other surface coating. The picture on the Website Launch article is my 9 month old baby girl. She plays with the blocks every day. She can't stack them yet but loves to pull them out of the container, wave them around, and try and chew on them. I think the ultimate testimonial is that my own four children play with these.

1 comment:

  1. I entered to win the Smarcks: Smart Blocks Giveaway @ Familylicious Reviews! Stop by and enter at http://familylicious.com/
    Rita Spratlen rj_angel_house@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete